- This event has passed.
Be Wildfire Ready
October 28, 2021 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pmFree
Thousand Oaks Neighborhood Association presents …
featuring representatives from
- Berkeley Office of Emergency Services
- CERT (Community Emergency Response Team)
- Berkeley Disaster Prep Neighborhood Network
- Berkeley Mutual Aid
Catalyzed by the climate crisis, wildfires are now a year-round threat. Devastating examples like the Tubbs Fire demonstrate that large-scale fires are no longer limited to properties bordering wilderness areas.
In addition, the dangers are not limited to fires themselves. Smoke from nearby (and not so nearby) wildfires causes discomfort to some and is life threatening to others. The risk that power lines may cause a wildfire results in planned and unplanned power outages, which cause disruption in our livelihoods and threaten the health and safety of those dependent on power.
Come learn how to “be prepared, not scared.” Find out about existing and new programs for emergency notifications, free emergency go kits and air filters, and evacuation drills. Discover how to hardscape your property, the advantage of spark-resistant attic venting, and how to be a wildfire buddy to give and get support before the threat of a wildfire becomes a reality.
The presentations will be information rich. We will record the session, but get your questions answered by attending the event or by submitting them ahead of time to email@example.com.
- AC Alert: www.acalert.org
- Zonehaven Map: community.zonehaven.com (Know your zone!)
- City of Berkeley wildfire page: cityofberkeley.info/wildfire/
- National Weather Service Bay Area: www.twitter.com/nwsbayarea
- Berkeley Mutual Aid: www.berkeleymutualaid.org
- “Learning to Live with Wildfire” [Wednesday November 10 from 7-8pm (on Zoom)]. Panelists Doug Mosher & Sue Piper (Oakland Firesafe Council) and Sheryl Drinkwater (home hardening expert). Sign up (Eventbrite) at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/learning-to-live-with-wildfire-tickets-201722857497
- Free Go Kit program: https://bdpnnetwork.org/events-2/emergency-go-kits/
- yard debris bag info: https://www.cityofberkeley.info/PlantDebris/
- Berkeley Path Wanderers: https://www.berkeleypaths.org/
- Thousand Oaks Neighborhood Assn: www.tona.org and firstname.lastname@example.org